Topics

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker at Lake Anza

Sam Zuckerman

Continuing bird found by Charles Hargrove observed again around 11 am Tuesday. Waited almost two hours near Lake Anza spillway for sapsucker to make an appearance. It flew into a tall oak tree on lake shore about 20 yards from bridge over spillway, calling and drumming for 10 minutes before flying away toward parking lot. Apparent female with red crown, yellowish breast and belly, and pale throat. Mewing call described by Jack Hayden as resembling a starling immitating a red shouldered hawk. Recording here: https://ebird.org/checklist/S79141061

Alexander Henry

Looks like a young male Yellow-bellied, based on photos so far. Still mostly juvenile feathers on crown, no red on nape, red throat. Of course always tough to rule out a hybrid...

--
Alex Henry

Alexander Henry

Perhaps there are 2 Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers around Lake Anza? The one that has been photographed there is a young male but there could be a female as well.

On Tuesday, January 12, 2021, Alexander Henry <awhenry@...> wrote:
[...]

I don't think there's any reason to assume two birds. If an immature YBSA also has a pale throat, like the adult female, then the bird I observed might have been young, not female. It was an error on my part not to consider age as well as gender. In any case, it was exciting to see it, right in the spot other birders had described.
On 01/12/2021 3:09 PM Alexander Henry <awhenry@...> wrote:

[...]

510-375-3861

judisierra

Nobody saw this yesterday?
Red-naped Sapsucker (Sphyrapicus nuchalis) (1)
- Reported Jan 11, 2021 09:48 by Charles Hargrove
- Lake Anza, Orinda US-CA 37.89635, -122.25110, Contra Costa, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=37.89635,-122.251102&ll=37.89635,-122.251102
- Media: 5 Photos
- Comments: "Same bird as yesterday but on reflection I am going with red-naped sapsucker. Parallel lines of lighter feathers on back. Light red on top. Only vaguest hint of yellowish belly."

Listen to the recording of the call: https://ebird.org/checklist/S79141061. Seems pretty definitive.
On 01/12/2021 4:53 PM judisierra via groups.io <judisierra@...> wrote:

[...]

Sharon Jue

I can't personally distinguish between the calls of the three varius sapsuckers; likely some on this list can, but they are fairly similar. For some reason there are a large number of Yellow-bellies around right now; there are entries on the listservs for San Francisco, the North Bay, and the Peninsula (http://digest.sialia.com/ makes it easy to keep tabs on the surrounding areas). Teale Fristoe, Robert Raffel, and Derek Heins all had photos showing a distinctly red throat on this bird. Interestingly, there was a female (white throat) in southeastern Berkeley in late December. There is also a (apparently immature) male in South Berkeley. Thanks to excellent documentary photos, it's clear that these are three separate birds. My photos and analysis here: https://ebird.org/checklist/S79140469

Sharon Jue
Berkeley