Topics

Wrentits in Oakland area?

Louis Libert

Hi,

I live in Oakland and have a birding friend in town who’s never seen a Wrentit. Where’s a good place in or near Oakland to look for Wrentit?

Thanks!
Louis Libert
Oakland, CA

Patricia Bacchetti

HI Louis,

Good places to look are Sibley Regional (go out on the trail to the left) and Valle Vista EBMUB Staging Area near Moraga (you will need to pay $5 online and get a permit to hike there). There’s even one that sings at Lake Temescal, but it’s up on the hill and seeing it wouldn’t be easy. Any place with dry chaparral should have wrentits. Make sure you know their call because they’re often heard and not seen.

Good luck!

Patricia Bacchetti

On May 31, 2019, at 10:02 PM, Louis Libert <loumlibert@...> wrote:

Hi,

I live in Oakland and have a birding friend in town who’s never seen a Wrentit. Where’s a good place in or near Oakland to look for Wrentit?

Thanks!
Louis Libert
Oakland, CA

Fred Werner

Lots of places in the hills are good for Wrentit. The western entrance to
Sibley is also good (where Fish Ranch reaches 24 on the Orinda side of the
tunnel). And we've got plenty in the upper reaches of both Strawberry
Canyon and Claremont Canyon. You can hike up from the top of either Dwight
or Derby St. in Berkeley or a shorter hike up from this parking area on
Claremont Ave. just below Grizzly Peak:

Fire Trail
Berkeley, CA 94705
37.871655, -122.224187

or drive up Panoramic Way from the UC-Berkeley football stadium all the way
to the top (the road is closed for construction Mon-Fri).

or walk the fire trail from the Lawrence Berkeley Lab math lab buildings:
https://goo.gl/maps/8eHZikUsTuAray6k7

or just go to the Lawrence Hall of Science and take in the view. You have
a good chance of hearing them there too. Of course, you're very likely to
hear them in all of those places, but seeing them ANYWHERE takes a lot of
patience and luck.

Good luck!

- Fred Werner
Panoramic Way, Berkeley/Oakland

wrote:

Hi,

I live in Oakland and have a birding friend in town who’s never seen a
Wrentit. Where’s a good place in or near Oakland to look for Wrentit?

Thanks!
Louis Libert
Oakland, CA

Louis Libert

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I ended up taking my friend to the West Ridge Trail in Redwood Park. After about an hour of searching I was able to get him great looks at a Wrentit!

Thanks again!
Louis Libert
Oakland

wrote:

Hi,

I live in Oakland and have a birding friend in town who’s never seen a
Wrentit. Where’s a good place in or near Oakland to look for Wrentit?

Thanks!
Louis Libert
Oakland, CA

Bev

I heard one in the tree in front of us at Huckleberry on Sat, but didn't get a good luck. Such a distinctive call...

Bev