Wilson's Snipes - Contra Loma R. P., Antioch - 11/23/2021

Paul Schorr

Today Nancy and I made a late morning/midday trip to Contra Loma R. P. and recorded 34 species.   We began at the boat launch area where we saw 150+ Canada Geese, 15 American White Pelicans and 54 Ring-billed Gulls.  As we studied the surrounding shoreline, we were surprised to see three Wilson’s Snipes and one Sora.  The Wilson’s Snipes, along with five Killdeer, were  foraging along the muddy edge of the water and the Sora dodged in and out of the adjacent tules.  Out on the open water, we saw six FOS Common Goldeneyes.  In addition, we watched an Osprey as it fished throughout our stay.  Although we had really good views as it hovered over the water, we did not see it catch any fish.

Our eBird checklist can be viewed at: https://ebird.org/checklist/S97990142

Good birding.

Paul Schorr
Antioch