White-throated Sparrow - Creekside Park and Road, Brentwood - 1/27

Paul Schorr

Today we birded from 11:40 - 1:55 at Creekside Park and Road, walking as far south as Wolfe Ranch.  Following last night's significant winter storm which was the best of the season and badly needed, Marsh Creek was flowing nicely. Air temperatures during our walk hovered at 48F degrees, wind speed was about 5 mph and skies were cloudy and gray.  As a result, the numbers of birds was significantly lower for Nancy and me, but it was  indeed a very enjoyable winter’s walk.

We spotted the White-throated Sparrow just north of Wolfe Ranch along a concrete wall that separates the homes within Somerset 4 from Creekside Road.  This was the third time that we have seen the sparrow at this location.  It was associating with White- and Golden-Crowned Sparrows.

We could not find the previously-reported Plumbeous Vireo or Western Tanager.

In addition to the WTSP, our complete list of birds seen or heard follows:

Mourning Dove 3
Anna’s Hummingbird 1
Turkey Vulture 3
Nuttall’s Woodpecker 3
Northern Flicker 4
American Kestrel 1
Black Phoebe 3
CA Scrub-Jay 6
Common Raven 1
Bushtit 7
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 2
Western Bluebird 3
Hermit Thrush 1
House Finch 5
PURPLE FINCH 9
Lesser Goldfinch 1
Dark-eyed Junco 5
White-crowned Sparrow 35
Golden-crowned Sparrow 8
Yellow-rumped Warbler 25

Happy birding,

Paul Schorr
Antioch

Alan Bade

Hi Paul- I'm glad you saw the Creekside Park White-throated sparrow again. We need to make it over there.

We're happy to report our 2nd year yard White-throated sparrow continues over here in southern Pleasant Hill. It ate hungrily yesterday before the storm, also associating with a group of White-crowned sparrows and a few Golden-crowned. The birds of the day however, were Cedar Waxwings. We had a flock of at least 75 Cedar Waxwings coming first to our oak tree, then to eat camphor berries in our front yard trees. A male and female western bluebird are still hanging around and seem to be guarding a nest cavity they've used in the past.
List here, but sorry no photos of the White-throated. https://ebird.org/checklist/S79931463

Alan Bade
Pleasant Hill