Topics

White-eyed Vireo - Patterson Pass

Steve Huckabone

This morning starting around 7:15AM I heard a White-eyed Vireo deep in the riparian raven at the sharp blind curve. The bird moved slowly westward calling persistently. Several times the bird would work it’s way to bare willow branches allowing great looks.  When it reached an area bare of willows at MM ~6.05 it turned back to the east basically retracing the original route. After nearly 2 hours I left it still calling with another birder (sorry forgot his name) tailing it.

Sorry for the late report.

EBIRD: Report

https://ebird.org/checklist/S69577629

Steve Huckabone

Alameda County

Livermore, CA

Ethan Monk

The vireo continues approx mile 6.25. Singing
 Bouts of song. Very hard to see, but possible.

Ethan

On May 24, 2020, at 2:01 PM, Steve Huckabone <shuckabone@...> wrote:

This morning starting around 7:15AM I heard a White-eyed Vireo deep in the riparian raven at the sharp blind curve. The bird moved slowly westward calling persistently. Several times the bird would work it’s way to bare willow branches allowing great looks.  When it reached an area bare of willows at MM ~6.05 it turned back to the east basically retracing the original route. After nearly 2 hours I left it still calling with another birder (sorry forgot his name) tailing it.

Sorry for the late report.

EBIRD: Report

https://ebird.org/checklist/S69577629

Steve Huckabone

Alameda County

Livermore, CA

Bruce Mast

Since I haven't seen any other reports yet from today, I'm sharing this negative report for White-eyed Vireo from this morning. Having rolled into town from the Mojave Desert last night at 10 pm, I took my sweet time this morning and arrived onsite at Patterson Pass Rd. around 10 am. Ran into Pat Mahoney, Srikant Char, and Ralph (?), where I learned that (a) they make cars now with power windows that roll down with the push of a button, and (b) I hadn't missed a thing. A couple of us birded the area until about noon, playing White-eyed Vireo recording periodically for the last hour or so. No response. I suspect this one was a one-day wonder.

Bruce Mast
Oakland