White-crowned sparrows left last night

David Yeamans

As anticipated a sudden departure of white-crowned sparrows occurred last night. Evidence is from my limited feeding station and from Sycamore Grove Park. None were there whereas the day before there were scores, in fact an increasing concentration right up to this morning.

At my siskin-limiting feeding balcony the sparrows would eat 6 cut grapes in the morning and six in the afternoon (I let the food run out for a few hours in between seatings). They did not clean up the 1/4 cup of dove/qual mix nor even touch the 20cc thistle seed. Happy hunting little migrants.
*************************
Dave Yeamans

If you see bad, do good.

Carolyn Arnold

David,

Thanks so much for noting this passage. I must have seen the last one of my yard group of white crowns yesterday afternoon, picking up a last minute nyjer seed, spread out just for them on my deck railing. I thought it might be goodbye.

Safe flights north my favorite feathered friends! Have a prosperous summer, and return safely to us in the Fall.

Carolyn in Oakland.

On Apr 13, 2021, at 11:59 AM, David Yeamans <davidralphyeamans@gmail.com> wrote:

As anticipated a sudden departure of white-crowned sparrows occurred last night. Evidence is from my limited feeding station and from Sycamore Grove Park. None were there whereas the day before there were scores, in fact an increasing concentration right up to this morning.

At my siskin-limiting feeding balcony the sparrows would eat 6 cut grapes in the morning and six in the afternoon (I let the food run out for a few hours in between seatings). They did not clean up the 1/4 cup of dove/qual mix nor even touch the 20cc thistle seed. Happy hunting little migrants.
*************************
Dave Yeamans

If you see bad, do good.

Jaan Lepson

It seems that the Pine Siskins have also left. I was hearing many yesterday at home and in Robertson Park, but none today.  As Dave noted with the WCSP, they seemed to be increasing in their numbers - until there were no more.

Jaan Lepson
Livermore

On Apr 13, 2021, at 11:59, David Yeamans <davidralphyeamans@...> wrote:

As anticipated a sudden departure of white-crowned sparrows occurred last night. Evidence is from my limited feeding station and from Sycamore Grove Park. None were there whereas the day before there were scores, in fact an increasing concentration right up to this morning.

At my siskin-limiting feeding balcony the sparrows would eat 6 cut grapes in the morning and six in the afternoon (I let the food run out for a few hours in between seatings). They did not clean up the 1/4 cup of dove/qual mix nor even touch the 20cc thistle seed. Happy hunting little migrants.
*************************
Dave Yeamans

If you see bad, do good.

Alan Krakauer

For what it's worth, we still have continuing White-crowned and Golden-crowned Sparrows, along with Pine Siskin, here in Richmond near Wildcat Canyon Park as of this morning (Wednesday). We had a Fox Sparrow at least through Monday.

-Alan Krakauer
Richmond, CA

Marke Estis

I also still have white-crowned sparrows in my backyard in West Berkeley

Sent from AT&T Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Wednesday, April 14, 2021, 3:35 PM, Alan Krakauer <Alan.krakauer@...> wrote:

For what it's worth, we still have continuing White-crowned and Golden-crowned Sparrows, along with Pine Siskin, here in Richmond near Wildcat Canyon Park as of this morning (Wednesday). We had a Fox Sparrow at least through Monday.

-Alan Krakauer
Richmond, CA

Jaan Lepson

It seems I was a bit premature in my assessment yesterday!

I saw several groups of LBJs while biking through Robertson Park in Livermore this morning, including one bird that showed well enough to ID as a WCSP. And two came in just a couple feet from my face this afternoon at home. But I have heard no singing at all these past two days from either White-crowns or Golden-crowns. So while they are here they are being inconspicuous.

Siskins were calling in Robertson Park on my way back home mid-day today.

Jaan Lepson
Livermore