Topics

White-crowned Sparrow Still in Heather Farm Park, Walnut Creek

rosita94598

The White-crowned Sparrow was seen today coming to seed along the Coyote Brush south of the equestrian area in Heather Farm Park. Steve Buffi and I watched it for 1/2 hour to 45 minutes this morning. It is very timid, but came out a number of times over that span. Several park vehicles passed, but after several minutes, the White-crowned Sparrows would start coming out again and eventually so would the White-throated Sparrow.

There are currently at least 5 active Bushtit nests in the park and one Nuttall's Woodpecker nest.

At a meeting Tuesday night, we learned of a Killdeer nest in the area from which the Eucalyptus trees were removed. We were shown photos of the eggs on the ground, but I did not find this nest today. There is much bicycle, foot, dog and auto traffic in this part of the park.

Hugh B. Harvey
Walnut Creek