Topics

Western Sandpiper in Heather Farm Park

rosita94598

This morning I arrived later to the park than usual, not leaving the house until almost 8:45.  I was out on the dirt trail next to a eucalyptus tree when something caught my eye flying left toward the boat ramp.  I was thinking Spotted Sandpiper, then thought maybe it was a Rough-winged Swallow.  The bird was sandy color on the back and white underneath.  I questioned myself, so I went back to the boat ramp and sure enough, it was immediately to my right, flew a bit and landed to the left.  It had a little bright rufous on the sides of the upper back, and a medium long droopy bill.

I may have seen a Western Sandpiper in the park before, but if I did it must have been pretty long ago.

Hugh B. Harvey
Walnut Creek