Western Kingbird eating an insect

Claude Lyneis

April 6.  I was at Arrowhead Marsh around noon today and spotted a Yellow Bird that didn’t match any in my photo list.  It was hoping around in a tree eating something.

The most instructive photo showing that it is a Western Kingbird with an insect is in the link below.

Claude Lyneis

Teale :   Tropical Kingbird or Western Kingbird?  Here are two photos showing the breast and tail feathers.  I look forward to hearing the outcome.

I learn a photo at a time and it is fun to find out even when wrong on the first go around.

Claude

On Apr 6, 2021, at 5:32 PM, Teale Fristoe <fristoe@gmail.com> wrote:

Claude,

I think you have a Tropical Kingbird there. If you have any other photos, especially if they show the breast (which is pale gray on a Western and yellowish on a Tropical) or the undertail (which is uniform brown on Tropical and black with white outer feathers on Western), I encourage you to post them.

Cheers,
Teale

On Tue, Apr 6, 2021 at 5:25 PM Claude Lyneis <cmlyneis@...> wrote:
April 6.  I was at Arrowhead Marsh around noon today and spotted a Yellow Bird that didn’t match any in my photo list.  It was hoping around in a tree eating something.

The most instructive photo showing that it is a Western Kingbird with an insect is in the link below.

Douglas Vaughan

My reaction to the first photo was, Wow, large bill for a Western. And no obvious white on the outer tail feathers. Tropical Kingbird would be a great find. Not sure I’m qualified to vote, however, on the basis of these photos.

Doug Vaughan

On Apr 6, 2021, at 5:50 PM, Claude Lyneis <cmlyneis@...> wrote:

[...]

EBB and Kingbird

Thanks for all the thoughtful comments on whether the photos show a Western Kingbird or a Tropical Kingbird at Arrowhead March about a hundred yards south of the north walkway.  Since there is no clear consensus I looked at iBird and Wikipedia and I favor the Tropical Kingbird identification.
The amount of yellow on the breast seems inconclusive.  However, the tail is dark brown and not black and it appears to be forked not square.  Both of these characteristics favor the Tropical Kingbird identification.
Perhaps the bird will remain at Arrowhead long enough for someone to make a definitive ID.

37°44'24.804" N 122°12'38.784" W

Claude Lyneis

On Apr 6, 2021, at 8:51 PM, Joseph Morlan <jmorlan@...> wrote:

This is a Tropical Kingbird.

On Tue, 6 Apr 2021 17:25:26 -0700, "Claude Lyneis" <cmlyneis@...>
wrote:

April 6.  I was at Arrowhead Marsh around noon today and spotted a Yellow Bird that didn’t match any in my photo list.  It was hoping around in a tree eating something.

The most instructive photo showing that it is a Western Kingbird with an insect is in the link below.

Link. https://flic.kr/p/2kRvWL9 <https://flic.kr/p/2kRvWL9>

Claude Lyneis
cmlyneis@...
https://www.youtube.com/bhsvideodad <https://www.youtube.com/bhsvideodad>
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/lyneisfilm

--
Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA

Alexander Henry

Presumably the same individual reported there on April 2 by Denise Wight?

wrote:

April 6.  I was at Arrowhead Marsh around noon today and spotted a Yellow Bird that didn’t match any in my photo list.  It was hoping around in a tree eating something.

The most instructive photo showing that it is a Western Kingbird with an insect is in the link below.

Link. https://flic.kr/p/2kRvWL9 <https://flic.kr/p/2kRvWL9>

Claude Lyneis
cmlyneis@...
https://www.youtube.com/bhsvideodad <https://www.youtube.com/bhsvideodad>