Topics

Weird sapsucker

Philip Georgakakos

Hi everyone,

Below is a link to the an iNaturalist observation with pics of a strange sapsucker Teale Fristoe and I saw off Black Point Trail at Mitchel Canyon SP, yesterday. Any help with the ID would be appreciated. We also detected 18 Orange-crowned Warblers, they were foraging and singing vigorously. Other migrants a bit slow.

Also, follow up on Mountain View cemetery, on a run today I saw some Cliff Swallows and a Wilson’s Warbler. The migrants are coming!

Phil Georgakakos
Oakland

Philip Georgakakos

Whoops, here is the iNaturalist link: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/40565344

On Mar 22, 2020, at 7:02 PM, Philip Georgakakos <pgeorgakakos3@...> wrote:

Hi everyone,

Below is a link to the an iNaturalist observation with pics of a strange sapsucker Teale Fristoe and I saw off Black Point Trail at Mitchel Canyon SP, yesterday. Any help with the ID would be appreciated. We also detected 18 Orange-crowned Warblers, they were foraging and singing vigorously. Other migrants a bit slow.

Also, follow up on Mountain View cemetery, on a run today I saw some Cliff Swallows and a Wilson’s Warbler. The migrants are coming!

Phil Georgakakos
Oakland

Mark Stephenson

Yes! This is a Red-breasted hybrid with red-nape Sapsucker.
Happy Birding,
Mark & Lucas Stephenson

On Sunday, March 22, 2020, 7:54 PM, Philip Georgakakos <pgeorgakakos3@...> wrote:

Whoops, here is the iNaturalist link: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/40565344

On Mar 22, 2020, at 7:02 PM, Philip Georgakakos <pgeorgakakos3@...> wrote:

Hi everyone,

Below is a link to the an iNaturalist observation with pics of a strange sapsucker Teale Fristoe and I saw off Black Point Trail at Mitchel Canyon SP, yesterday. Any help with the ID would be appreciated. We also detected 18 Orange-crowned Warblers, they were foraging and singing vigorously. Other migrants a bit slow.

Also, follow up on Mountain View cemetery, on a run today I saw some Cliff Swallows and a Wilson’s Warbler. The migrants are coming!

Phil Georgakakos
Oakland

Noah Arthur

Yes. That’s a beautiful example of Red-napedX-breasted Sapsucker. More obviously hybrid than many of the birds that get called hybrids, some of which are very close to pure Red-breasted. This could be an actual 1st-generation hybrid.

Noah

On Sunday, March 22, 2020, 7:02:17 PM PDT, Philip Georgakakos <pgeorgakakos3@...> wrote:

Hi everyone,

Below is a link to the an iNaturalist observation with pics of a strange sapsucker Teale Fristoe and I saw off Black Point Trail at Mitchel Canyon SP, yesterday. Any help with the ID would be appreciated. We also detected 18 Orange-crowned Warblers, they were foraging and singing vigorously. Other migrants a bit slow.

Also, follow up on Mountain View cemetery, on a run today I saw some Cliff Swallows and a Wilson’s Warbler. The migrants are coming!

Phil Georgakakos
Oakland

Alan Bade

Fun sighting!
We saw one on Grayson creek in Pleasant Hill last November. Susana dT got great pictures and figured it out.

Alan Bade
Pleasant Hill