Topics

Warbling Vireos, Morgan Territory and birds around the house

Denise Wight

Hi E.B. Birders,

This morning I birded Morgan Territory (hadn't been there in over twenty years!).  First of season birds for me included at least six singing Warbling Vireos at the pull out where the Mollok trail crosses Morgan Territory Road, two Blue-gray Gnatcatchers, and a House Wren.  While recording an odd sounding Brown Creeper song, I also recorded a pair of Prairie Falcons calling in the distance. Later, I recorded Cedar Waxwings while a calling Cooper's Hawk flew over. Golden Eagle and three accipiters in the sky at one time was nice see, too.

Friday evening Cliff Swallows returned to an old nest outside my front door. Late this afternoon, on my back deck, Chestnut-backed Chickadees repeatedly attacked a Nuttall's Woodpecker when it got too close to their nest box. The call the
chickadee makes during these attacks
is soft, but harsh and raspy sounding. Each time, the Nuttall's Woodpecker flew off without a fight.

All the Best Birding,
Denise Wight
Moraga, CA