Wandering Tattler San Leandro Shoreline

scfloyd2000

At the San Leandro Shoreline around 1:00 this afternoon (access from Marina Park), on a low but rising tide, many great shorebirds were around, from marbled godwits to dunlin to long-billed curlews, as well as Caspian terns and Forster's terns.  On the northeast side of the rocky island with the causeway that submerges at high tide, I found a spotted sandpiper, a black-bellied plover, four ruddy turnstones, and a black turnstone, but no surfbirds. Surfbirds were my target for the day, but I was satisfied (to say the least) when a wandering tattler wandered into view.  A second wandering tattler, a juvenile, startled up from the rocks and flew to the inner channel by the park. I got a decent photo of the adult before it wandered to the west side of the island and out of view.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y49/sing4me/IMG_2191.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y49/sing4me/IMG_2188.jpg

Stephanie Floyd
Fremont