Walnut Creek sightings

fgsafier

Since these birds have been mentioned in other posts, I suppose I should report that in our Walnut Creek neighborhood I had a White-throated Sparrow feeding on the ground with a few Golden-crowns on Thursday, and a Black-throated Gray Warbler high in an oak with several Yellow-rumps this morning.

Fred Safier

Alan Bade

Hi Fred- Thanks for the sparrow report. We still have our regular White-throated sparrow amidst its small flock of white-crowned sparrows. We live in southern Pleasant Hill.

It over-wintered here last year and this year and is a regular visitor in our yard. Last year, it left around April 6th, 2020 and it returned on the 7th of November, 2020. We'll miss it when it leaves, which I'm expecting will happen soon. We've also had a Fox sparrow recently, which has been nice. https://ebird.org/checklist/S84637921

I thought I might have heard a white-throated along the EBMUD right-of-way along Grayson creek near Oak Park blvd in Pleasant Hill early this week. I recorded it and put it into BirdNet, and it suggested white-throated sparrow as well, but I wasn't confident enough to list it. It didn't have enough of the song, so I didn't trust it. I don't have much experience with white-throated sparrow song, as ours here hasn't sung for us.

While we are on sparrows; I've checked on the Chipping sparrows down near Astrid Lane along the EBMUD trail occasionally but haven't seen them since 2/20/21. https://ebird.org/checklist/S82047837

Alan Bade
Pleasant Hill