Walnut Creek Chickadees have fledged

rosita94598

Having been gone all day, I was sitting near the window which faces the patio, when I realized that a Chickadee adult was coming back and forth to the seed feeder, but not going to the bird house. It flew outside to a quadrangle between our houses. I went out there to take a look and couldn't believe my luck when I actually found a fledgling Chestnut-backed Chickadee sitting in one of the 4 heavily-leafed trees there. The yellow gape was clearly visible. I did not see the adult come to this chick while I watched. It sat hunched, trying to be as small as possible in the big wide world around it, I would imagine. This would be day 22, if we are right that they started feeding chicks the Sunday after Easter. Whew, it has been a lot of hard work.

Hugh B. Harvey
Walnut Creek