Walnut Creek birds Wednesday morning

rosita94598

I have noticed a drop in the numbers of Mallards on the large, mostly natural pond in Heather Farm Park.  Aside from the fact that the water is really low, the question of where the Mallards are going has been in my mind.

Today I rode west along the CC Canal trail and when I crossed the concrete channel of Walnut Creek, my question was answered.  At least 40 Mallards were walking in the shallow water in the channel, joined by one Great and one Snowy Egret.  They were all on the north side toward Treat Blvd.

There are still some Mallards in Heather Farm, just not the 80-90 birds we had several weeks ago.  I am putting it down to the end of eclipse plumage and the birds are again capable of flight.

A Common Gallinule was seen at the north end of the pond, at least two Green Herons and one Black-crowned Night-Heron.  The Kingfisher flew from one tree to another and a family of Bushtits was busy on the west side of the pond.  At least twelve Lesser Goldfinches were on some pink flowers in the community garden, while House Finches were in other parts.

Hugh B. Harvey
Walnut Creek