Topics

Walnut Creek Birds

rosita94598

Things were quiet in Heather Farm Park in Walnut Creek this morning. Two Pied-billed Grebe residents were on the large pond, as they often are. I have not seen a cormorant the last two or three times I visited. Bushtit families were busy in several areas around the park. Cliff, Barn and Rough-winged Swallows swarmed across the tall grasses of the Hale property, the open area between the equestrian area and the Seven Hills School. A fourth species was seen, but I'm not sure if it was Tree or Violet-green, the look was very brief. Canada Geese have goslings out on the lawn near the office building, two Mallard familes each had three ducklings. Fred Safier reported that yesterday a Vaux's Swift was flying between the two ponds. The Green Herons have been active at the north end of the large, mostly natural pond, but were not seen today.

In our patio to the north, the Chestnut-backed Chickadees are still feeding chicks in the birdhouse. At least one Junco fledgling comes for seeds on the cement, but has not figured out about the meal worms. The worms are still all grabbed by two adult California Towhees. Lesser Goldfinches and House Finches continue to take nesting material. As recently as a week ago, the Anna's Hummingbirds were still taking it, too. An Oak Titmouse sometimes comes for seeds, it hasn't found the worms, either. Rosita told me that a Crow came yesterday and looked into the patio from an adjacent roof. The Red-shouldered Hawk is calling out near Treat Boulevard as I write this.

Hugh B. Harvey
Walnut Creek