Topics

Walnut Creek Birds

rosita94598

The Snowy Egret, which has been in Heather Farm Park for several weeks, contiues to be seen regularly. Though I was there after 10 AM, the White-throated Sparrow came out of the Coyote Bushes when I threw a little seed. It was in the company of White-crowneds, Jays, a female House Finch and an Oak Titmouse. Buffleheads continue to be present in varying numbers. Late yesterday I saw two females, this morning it was a male/female pair. I heard no woodpeckers. The Double-crested Cormorants have been showing their double crests for a couple of weeks. In the garden area, two young Anna's Hummingbirds are close to outgrowing their nest, maybe 15 feet over the sign for the Stroll Garden.

In our patio north of the park and Contra Costa Canal, the Chestnut-backed Chickadees continue to be active around the bird house. We continue to have White-crowned Sparrows come for seed as well as an Oak Titmouse pair. I learned that last week a young Cooper's Hawk emptied the patio while it checked from the roof edges overlooking our little space. This is not the first time for this species to be here.

Hugh B. Harvey
Walnut Creek