Topics

W. Screech-Owl in Tilden

phil capitolo

This morning between 0556 and 0558, I heard the bouncing-ball call of a W. Screech-Owl about 1/2 a dozen times. After the third or fourth bouncing-ball, I think I also heard what I saw described as the "double note" call. The observation ended with repeated single notes at not quite 2/sec that alone would have had me thinking N. Saw-whet Owl.

So, not sure if I heard two birds/species, but am confident of at least 1 W. Screech Owl.

It sounded like the bird(s) was west of the Merry-Go-Round, between Central Park Drive and Wildcat Canyon Rd.