Vollmer Peak midday Tuesday Sept. 14

rosita94598

At least a half-dozen birders watched the Green-tailed Towhee pretty much as long as they wanted today between 11:30 and 12:30.  It spent a lot of time to the right of the tree located to the right of the bench at the top of the hill.  While I was still there, two Western Tanagers played hard to see because they were in the tree with the sun behind them.

A female Hermit Warbler was reported on the Vollmer Peak trail, so a couple of us wandered that direction.  Though we found Wrentits and Fox Sparrows, the warbler was not seen by us.

When I started downhill to the parking lot, the Green-tailed Towhee was even farther to the right of the bench, foraging to the right of the cyclone fence gate around a tower there.  We walked away from it.

What a great bird.  Thanks to all who report it.

Hugh B. Harvey
Walnut Creek