Topics

Valle Vista parking lot closed

Maureen Lahiff

I suspect this is part of the latest round of "sheltering in place" restrictions closing playgrounds, dog parks, basketball courts, golf courses, etc.
to avoid people being too close together.

It is part of the sacrifice we all have to make to minimize covid-19 spread.

Maureen

Bev

Except EBMUD made a point of saying all their trails open. When people need outdoor exercise for health, this ends up harming people.

There is no reason that being outside a safe distance from other people should be safer than being next to people on the street, in a store, etc.

I hope the poachers there last week didn't contribute to this.

-----Original Message-----
To: EBB-Sightings@groups.io
Sent: Sun, Apr 5, 2020 1:54 pm
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Valle Vista parking lot closed

I suspect this is part of the latest round of "sheltering in place" restrictions closing playgrounds, dog parks, basketball courts, golf courses, etc.

Maureen

Bev

Sorry, I meant to say that there's no reason it's more dangerous to be outside in parks a safe distance from others than crowded on streets, in stores, etc. 

To: MLahiff@... <MLahiff@...>; EBB-Sightings@groups.io <EBB-Sightings@groups.io>
Sent: Sun, Apr 5, 2020 2:00 pm
Subject: Re: [EBB-Sightings] Valle Vista parking lot closed

Except EBMUD made a point of saying all their trails open. When people need outdoor exercise for health, this ends up harming people.

There is no reason that being outside a safe distance from other people should be safer than being next to people on the street, in a store, etc.

Maureen

Peter Rauch

The reason is precisely that it is "dangerous" to be risking exposure to the virus, whether that risk is at the store or in the parking lot or on the trail. How dangerous, relatively among the various places, is of course arguable, but there is no data which says the virus is less contagious, less deadly, if contracted on the trail than in the grocery store.

"Safe distance" is often mediated by the circumstances, even uncontrollable by you --others may not respect you by keeping themselves at a safe distance; that person passing you on the narrow trail may by contagious and asymptomatic.

Just one person, just one instance, is all that is needed to compromise you, or you them.

The relative value of your exercise is mostly measured against the individual, personal impacts on you, while the impact of COVID-19 infection (to you, to others) has far-reaching serious impacts throughout the wider community.

A little bit of trail risk (exposure) plus a little bit of grocery store risk plus a little bit of gas station risk multiplies up quickly.

Birds?  My annual Bewick wren activity outside the kitchen window, a reliable source of spider webbing, is in full effect.
Peter

On Sun, Apr 5, 2020 at 2:04 PM Bev via groups.io <SLAKEWINGS=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Sorry, I meant to say that there's no reason it's more dangerous to be outside in parks a safe distance from others than crowded on streets, in stores, etc. 

To: MLahiff=aol.com@groups.io <MLahiff=aol.com@groups.io>; EBB-Sightings@groups.io <EBB-Sightings@groups.io>

From: Maureen Lahiff via groups.io <MLahiff=aol.com@groups.io>

Maureen

Bev

We know the reasons why but disagree about why we are no longer allowed exercise in nature.  Some of the richer counties say it's fine if you go on horseback, bicycle, or jog in, which eliminates anyone disabled or too poor to live near those parks.

Plenty of people are going in and the more closed the parks are, the more crowded the trails are. Mt. Diablo is theoretically closed at one of the most accessible parking lots and trail sites. Nearby, it's completely open and way more crowded than it needs to be, and also less accessible.

It's segregation when the more privileged have access denied to others. Bad enough when many of our parks and museums, etc. went from free to unaffordable.

Bev

To: EBB-Sightings@groups.io <EBB-Sightings@groups.io>
Sent: Sun, Apr 5, 2020 2:23 pm

The reason is precisely that it is "dangerous" to be risking exposure to the virus, whether that risk is at the store or in the parking lot or on the trail. How dangerous, relatively among the various places, is of course arguable, but there is no data which says the virus is less contagious, less deadly, if contracted on the trail than in the grocery store.

"Safe distance" is often mediated by the circumstances, even uncontrollable by you --others may not respect you by keeping themselves at a safe distance; that person passing you on the narrow trail may by contagious and asymptomatic.

Just one person, just one instance, is all that is needed to compromise you, or you them.

The relative value of your exercise is mostly measured against the individual, personal impacts on you, while the impact of COVID-19 infection (to you, to others) has far-reaching serious impacts throughout the wider community.

A little bit of trail risk (exposure) plus a little bit of grocery store risk plus a little bit of gas station risk multiplies up quickly.

Birds?  My annual Bewick wren activity outside the kitchen window, a reliable source of spider webbing, is in full effect.
Peter

On Sun, Apr 5, 2020 at 2:04 PM Bev via groups.io <SLAKEWINGS=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

To: MLahiff=aol.com@groups.io <MLahiff=aol.com@groups.io>; EBB-Sightings@groups.io <EBB-Sightings@groups.io>

From: Maureen Lahiff via groups.io <MLahiff=aol.com@groups.io>

Maureen