Topics

Unusual yard birds for spring

wespey

In the past few days I've had two unprecedented sightings for March in my yard. I get these birds every October, but never, in 20 years of observations in March. My home is in northeast Lafayette, near Taylor and Withers.

First I saw a solitary Hermit Thrush, then, the next day, a pair of white-crowned sparrows. Not rare birds I know, but definitely odd for the time and place.

Bill Espey

Jackie Bobrosky

Here in Martinez, I currently have 8 white crowned sparrows, the gold-crowned left a few days ago.  Also, 4 days ago a Hermit Thrush was skulking around my bushes in the early evening, heading to small waterfall feature.  Will watch this evening to see if it left!  The white crowns are becoming bright white.....beautiful.

Still waiting for Hooded Orioles.  sigh
Jackie Bobrosky
Old Town Martinez

On March 30, 2020 at 8:18 PM wespey <wtespey@...> wrote:

In the past few days I've had two unprecedented sightings for March in my yard. I get these birds every October, but never, in 20 years of observations in March. My home is in northeast Lafayette, near Taylor and Withers.

First I saw a solitary Hermit Thrush, then, the next day, a pair of white-crowned sparrows. Not rare birds I know, but definitely odd for the time and place.

Bill Espey

Idell Weydemeyer

In El Sobrante, I have both gold and white crown sparrows yet. However, there are fewer gold crowns and more white crowns than 2 weeks ago. The gold crown have been singing for about a week -so I hoped they would fly away soon for the sake of a soon to be planted  veggie bed .

Idell Weydemeyer

El Sobrante