Topics

Unusual Raptor Sighting at Albany Bulb

Annie Vargas

I would like to ask for your help in identifying a raptor photographed this
morning at Albany Bulb during a bird walk by the East Bay Nature group. It
was perched on one of the tall towers across the water from the
"sculptures" area of the park. The photos were shot from a distance but
hopefully can provide enough detail to identify the bird.

By all accounts it looks like a Short-tailed Hawk. I know how very unlikely
this is. In flight it was extremely aerodynamic and flew more like a falcon
than a hawk. Thank you for any help that you can provide.

I have posted 3 pictures at the following link:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183140474@N02/?

Happy Birding,

Annie Vargas

Statement of Confidentiality: The contents of this e-mail
message and any
attachments are intended solely for the addressee. The
information may also
be confidential and/or legally privileged. This
transmission is sent for
the sole purpose of delivery to the intended
recipient. If you have
received this transmission in error, any use,
reproduction, or
dissemination of this transmission is strictly prohibited. If
you are not
the intended recipient, please immediately notify the sender by
reply
e-mail and delete this message and its attachments, if any.

E-mail is
covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 USC SS
2510-2521
and is legally privileged.

Ken Copen

Hi Annie, that is from my perspective, an adult Peregrine Falcon
Dark hood, dark wings, yellow cere with a darker bill tip. The only part that is a little unusual is the barring on the chest is very light. I have seen that, I took a pic of one in Moss Landing that had almost indistinct barring like this one, it could also be the lighting to some extent as well.
Ken