Topics

Unusual dove at Borges Ranch, Walnut Creek

SteveLombardi

Today while hiking without binocs I saw an unusual dove at Borges Ranch.
At first glance it appeared to be a White-winged Dove;
plain gray-brown plumage, slender, Mourning Dove sized, long, tapered, pointed tail.
In flight it appeared to have white wing patches and another white patch on its rump or tail.
However, when perched it didn't seem to have the other White-winged field marks, like the white and black crescents on the lower edge of the folded wings.
But the bird was perched against a gray sky and I was wearing sunglasses, so I may not have seen the bird well.
It remained perched on a utility wire next to the Borges Ranch entrance road for several minutes before flying into a nearby oak.
https://goo.gl/maps/qFZuRYTRxPTRGQCk6

Steve Lombardi
San Ramon