Topics

Two glaucous gulls at Coyote Hills

David Yeamans

I and everyone I met on the No Name trail this morning at Coyote Hills had no luck finding the Lapland longspur but many saw the rare glaucous gull. Not seeing it on the ponds, I rode my bike around to where the flamingo has been hanging out (Alameda Creek Trail, first big water past the large white tower). From that point I cycled the poor trail along the dike back to the Bayview Trail bench. The dike was my best view of the GLGU. I reviewed my photos and saw two of them, not just one. Here's the checklist with photo if you want to corroborate or deny my claim.

BTW, that's #146 bird photo/species/December/my county. I'm lacking a lot of easy birds so if my energy holds out I might break 160 species/December/photo/location.
Dave

If you see bad, do good.

David Yeamans

Thanks to input from Noah A. I changed my mind on the second glaucous-winged gull. I now am calling the second gull in the photo a herring gull based on the smaller size, flatter head, and possibility that black wing tips could be disguised as levee soil.
Checklist photo is here:

Dave

If you see bad, do good.