Topics

Tuesday in East Contra Costa

rosita94598

Paul and Nancy Schorr and I drove to Piper Slough this morning to see what we could find.  They were unable to attend the MDAS field trip earlier this month.  We had some good birds in the Piper Slough area including a Black-chinned Hummingbird on the wires and a Great Horned Owl chick to the west at a nest.  We certainly heard Bullock's Oriole and Black-headed Grosbeak, but never found one.  We debated whether we heard parts of a Yellow-breasted Chat song.

We had a couple of Western Kingbirds around the Bethel Harbor area, but we did not climb the stairs and levee to look out over Frank's Tract.

We also stopped along Marsh Creek just after noon, using the access at Frank Hengel Way and Monet Drive.  Almost directly across from us we found a singing male Blue Grosbeak.

The temperatures were pleasantly mild and the breeze was refreshing.
Hugh B. HarveyWalnut Creek