Topics

Tricolored Blackbird Survey April 3rd-5th call for participants CANCELLATION

Alan Bade

Greetings birders- I thought I'd follow up on my post calling for volunteers for the triennial Tricolored Blackbird survey.

We've learned from survey leadership that the survey is indeed cancelled in light of the COVID-19 shelter in place order. It will be delayed until next year. After checking with coordinators statewide, it became evident that there would be large areas without adequate coverage, or in some cases, coverage at all. There are locations where access is closed because of the statewide order, and a number of agencies and consulting firms whose policies prohibit participation under these conditions. The survey would lack comparable data to previous efforts. There were also major safety and legal hurdles to overcome.

However, it is possible that an effort will be organized to survey birds during a later breeding season in the Sacramento Valley, Modoc plateau, Sierra foothills and Coast ranges in early June. This is of course dependent on conditions in the public health arena. This wouldn't be a statewide survey, but could lead to discovery of new breeding locations and add valuable data for TRBL conservation. If I receive any info about this, I'll post again. Or, we'll organize again next year.

Thanks to all that expressed interest in the survey! If you are interested in learning more about it, please see my article in the April edition of the Quail (https://mtdiabloaudubon.org/newsletter/) or at the TRBL portal website; https://tricolor.ice.ucdavis.edu/

Be safe and good birding! --Alan Bade

David Robinson

Thanks for the update, Alan.

If you do organize the June effort, please do let me know!

All the best,

David Robinson
Oakland