Topics

Tricolored Blackbird Survey April 3rd-5th call for participants

Alan Bade

Greetings birders! I'm sending this to the EBB Sightings group after learning that many don't subscribe to the EBB Discussion group, where I posted originally. I'm helping Audubon CA recruit participants.

There's an important bird survey in early April; the statewide triennial Tricolored Blackbird Survey. This survey has been conducted since the 1980s and is a joint effort between UC Davis, Audubon CA, and various govt agencies.

As many know, Tricolored Blackbirds breed in large colonies. Due to habitat loss and conversion, they are threatened, even though historically they used to be a very abundant species. This survey attempts to monitor colonies in known habitat and identify new colonies. Sites are visited mostly by vehicle and can be conducted independently or in small groups, following a protocol established by UC Davis and Audubon CA.

There are many sites in Contra Costa and Alameda County. I'm coordinating a group from Mt Diablo Audubon for the Contra Costa sites, but volunteers are needed to cover sites in Alameda and further south. If there are any members from GGAS, Marin, Napa-Solano, or Ohlone Audubon that would like to join this effort, that would be wonderful!  Xeronimo Castenada from Audubon CA is lead, and I encourage you to contact him directly at Xeronimo.Castaneda@...

Xeronimo is also particularly looking for surveyors in the San Luis Obisbo and Santa Cruz areas.
MDAS members (and others!) are also welcome to contact me at alanb1491187@... or communityscience@...

Here is a link to the survey; https://tricolor.ice.ucdavis.edu/

The survey is on April 3rd- April 5th. There is a webinar scheduled for Saturday March 14th from 10 AM to Noon where Xeronimo will explain the protocols and answer questions. This webinar will also be available after the event for viewing. (The webinar is encouraged but not required for participation.) The protocols and webinar link will be forwarded to anyone interested.

This survey has in the past identified sites in California where colonies with thousands of birds have been saved by paying farmers to delay harvest. It is one of the few community science efforts that can directly and immediately result in 1000s of birds saved! I hope you will consider joining us.

Thanks, Alan Bade, Mt Diablo Audubon Community Science

Phil Cotty

Alan, this survey is one of the few activitties that might go along with social distancing if we're counting solo.  Any news on whether or not the Tricolored Blackbird on April 3-5 is still on?

--
Phil Cotty
(510) 551-3133

Alan Bade

Hi Phil- yes, I think I agree on the safety, as people wouldn't be congregating. But that's just my personal observation.

I've been in touch with Audubon CA to ask. They are reviewing internally with the other stakeholders/decisionmakers like UC Davis and the governmental agencies. They hope to have an answer tomorrow afternoon or Friday whether the survey will go forward. Some of the issues I'm told they're discussing are as follows;
  1. How to structure it for safety, first and foremost. Do participants go out individually or is it okay as small groups? How would individual participation affect safety at sites along roadsides, which is a very common way to observe.
  2. Getting into cars with strangers might not fit the social distancing guidelines. Different areas in CA have different guidelines.
  3. Does the survey get moved to the alternate dates of April 17-19?
  4. They want to conduct a survey that is comparable to past ones. Will a diminished survey be statistically significant to the survey's previous data if there are a lot of cancellations by participants and they are unable to cover large areas? If not, should it still go out? Could a survey that is restricted to the social distancing guidelines be comparable to past surveys, and so contribute properly?
These are some of the issues I believe they are discussing. I think they'll make a choice soon, as it is getting close. If I learn anything, I'll re-post. Thanks for asking!

Alan Bade, MDAS Community Science

On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 12:46 PM Phil Cotty <Cotty.phil@...> wrote:
[...]

Great response. Thanks very much.  These are confusing times all around.