Tilden - Grasshopper & Lark Sparrows, Macgillivray's Warbler & Others

Zac Denning

On my weekly birding by ear trail run in Tilden this morning, it was frigid densely fogged in, and extremely blustery on the slopes and ridge. Starting near the Little Farm area, going North on the Wildcat Trail, then turning up the Conlon Trail, there was a Grasshopper Sparrow singing closer to the bottom of the hill this time. They seem to like to sing when the weather is miserable. I also heard an Ash-throated Flycatcher calling, both at the bottom and then later at top of the ridge. There are a few of these in Tilden, but not many. Not far from the Ash-throated, at the top of the Conlon trail, about 1/4 mile from the junction with Nimitz Way, there was a Lark Sparrow singing quite near the trail. And the MacGillivray's warbler was singing from it's new usual spot, 50-75 yards North of the Albany Berkeley Kensington Hikers Club Tree Grove, along Nimitz Way.

Turning down the Meadow Canyon trail, there was a blue-gray gnatcatcher calling, and several California Thrashers singing faintly above and below the trail about 1/2 mile from the parking area.

All in all, it wasn't bad audio birding for a foggy, windy day with little to see. Ebird list with audio recordings of the sparrow, as well as locations are included below.

Happy Birding,

Zac Denning

Ebird list (using the general Tilden list, since this spanned 8 miles of trail): https://ebird.org/checklist/S90491773

Grasshopper Sparrow: