Topics

Thursday in Walnut Creek Heather Farm Park

rosita94598

It was much cooler with the overcast today, but some good birds were present in the park.  What I am calling a female Wood Duck was swimming in the concrete pond with some Mallards.  One friend was attempting to photograph it.

In the large, mostly natural pond were two Coots and a Common Gallinule.  They were hiding along the edge at the southeast corner of the pond, though easily visible with binoculars from the west side.  A Kingfisher flew over from the pond near the private Seven Hills School

The last birds of note were the 10 Killdeers on the north ball fields who were again with up to 8 American Pipits.  While I was on the west side of the ponds, something made the Killdeers fly around, and when I checked with Herb and Randi Long later, there was only one A. Pipit.  The Killdeers had all returned.  It could have been someone using the ball fields for their intended purpose which made the birds fly; there was no maintenance being done today by city crews.

Otherwise, it was plenty of Yellow-rumped Warblers, White- and Golden-crowned Sparrows, Chestnut-backed Chickadees, heard White-breasted Nuthatch and Nuttall's Woodpecker, and a Black-crowned Night-Heron in the Ygnacio Canal.  House Finches, American and Lesser Goldfinches, Song Sparrow and CA Towhee rounded  out the morning.  Oh, a Red-shouldered Hawk was around and a Turkey Vulture passed over.

Hugh B. Harvey
Walnut Creek