Topics

Things are building offshore! Pelagic on Sunday 4th.

Alvaro Jaramillo

Hello all,

   We did not have any trips from Half Moon Bay this last weekend. We were down south in Morro Bay and Monterey Bay, and our friends (Redwood Region Ornithological Society) had a great trip out of Bodega Bay. The story is that South Polar Skuas are in, Buller’s Shearwaters are building, multiple Flesh-footed Shearwaters were seen, and storm-petrels continue to be common and findable. Numbers of Black-footed Albatross are building again, as the late summer is when their numbers are lowest, and in Morro Bay the Black-vented Shearwaters had arrived and seem to be moving north. So if you were out earlier in the season, things have shifted, with later season birds now having arrived. If you want a good shot at seeing Flesh-footed Shearwater, Buller’s and South Polar Skua all are likely and hoped for this weekend. We are heading out on Sunday the 4th.  We have 4 spots remaining, we will be going to SF and San Mateo counties.

     Note also that recently we have seen big pods of dolphins, and last time we were out Blue Whales were seen from Half Moon Bay.

https://www.alvarosadventures.com/pelagic-dates-2020.html

take care and good birding!

Alvaro

Alvaro Jaramillo