Thermals, Hawks Swifts and Swallows

Jim Chiropolos

Some days I will see a hawk high over the house so high it is only a dot. When I bring the bins to verify the ID more times than not the hawk will be with a large group of swallows and swifts that cannot be detected by eye and are usually so high I cannot hear the swifts or swallows chatter.

Its interesting, the thermal/hot air column that allows the hawk to soar so high must be carrying lots of insects and other invertebrates that the swifts and swallows change their feeding strategy to feed high in the air. My house is at 1,000 feet - the swallows and swifts may be feeding maybe at 2,000 feet or more in elevation!

Wow!

Jim Chiropolos
Orinda