The Black Skimmer Spectacle - Emervyille

Jim Chiropolos

I had to make a quick stop at the office today - and the Skimmer spectacle from the Emeryville mudflats between my office block and I80 was amazing. At 4 pm on a falling tide the skimmer flock was very active and and one time, in a group, flew within 150 feet of Powell street with many birds skimming! Some then roosted so close to Powell Street they could be ID’d with bare eyes. How many are there? I counted 61 three times and then saw a group of about 15 - could there be +- 75? Definitely the most amazing east bay birding of this year so far....

Tomorrow here at dusk could be quite a spectacle!

Jim Chiropolos
Emeryville today