Topics

Sunday morning in the park--Walnut Creek

rosita94598

Though it was only an early 45 minutes in Heather Farm Park today, it was a very happy day for several reasons. First, the two Killdeer chicks, which I thought had been lost to an errant softball or off-leash dogs on the ball fields, were found in good health. Apparently the parents are much smarter the that for which we give them credit. They had moved the kids over to the fenced area just north of the pre-school building adjacent to the north ball fields. All right!

Secondly, after a couple months of not seeing one, a Common Gallinule was seen from the wooden railing at the large, mostly natural pond. I looked around for some little red chicks, but did not see any. My thought had been that maybe they disappeared during a nesting period, and that may still be true.

The same thoughts come to mind about the on again/off again Pied-billed Grebes. Maybe I did not stay long enough today, I did not see one at all. We had up to 4 or 5 during the winter. More recently it has only been one and sometimes two.

Yesterday, Tracy Faarrington saw an Ash-throated Flycatcher near the equestrian rings. I had both Nuttall's and Downy Woodpecker adults feeding fledglings.

We continue to see or hear the Bushtit, White-breasted Nuthatch, House Finch, Titmouse and Chickadee families feeding their begging young.

Hugh B. Harvey
Walnut Creek