Sunday misc. (Ruddy Turnstone, Chat)

Ethan Monk

Yesterday, Sunday 4/25, I birded some sites around Contra Costa County from maybe 10-630, with the late start due to the forecast predicting heavy rain throughout the day (which obviously didn’t quite pan out). The Chat found by Cheryl Reynolds at Clayton Community Park was quite cooperative at about 1030am—and vocal—in the valley oaks around the baseball field, immediately adjacent the upper parking lot. Off Morgan Territory Rd. (Perkins Canyon) there was a singing Lawrence’s Goldfinch immediately after where the Perkins Canyon Trail crosses the creek acting like it was holding down a territory, and could be breeding here. And over Clifton Court Forebay, where I did not walk more than a mile and thus missed Srikant Char's Snowy Plover, the light rain was kind enough to down a White-throated Swift—the only White-throated Swift I’ve seen in the Contra Costa section of the delta. After Clifton, I made the 45-minute drive to Richmond to look for the 4th county record, storm-blown Kittiwake found earlier by Yvonne McHugh, but I did not refind it. Great find, Yvonne. There were some small consolations, including a Ruddy Turnstone—quite rare in Contra Costa, averaging perhaps 2-3 occurrences each year?--along the Western outer jetty at Meeker Slough (access from the small beach between Shimada Park and Bayside Dr. bay trail access pts). At Pt. Isabel, I ran into 5 Bonaparte’s Gulls, two of which were still totally in basic plumage, and a late Mew Gull which was unfortunately not the kittiwake. And at about 545, a lone Elegant Tern flew in to Brooks Island--possibly one of the five present about a week ago. Finally, a reminder to err on the side of caution when reporting large, monotypic dowitcher flocks along the bay shore; yesterday I had both dowitcher species at Meeker Slough and Pt. Isabel. The "slash" option in eBird is your friend.

Best of Spring,
Ethan Monk

Claude Lyneis

Ethan:
I was interested that you saw the Short-billed Dowitchers at Pt. Isabel recently.  Last week, I saw a group of them near the 51st Street Bridge at a somewhat low tide  and I was surprised at how colorful they were.

Here is a link to a Flickr photo.    https://flic.kr/p/2kUG4Uv

Claude Lyneis