Topics

Stilt Sandpiper at Hayward Regional Shoreline 9/1

Mark Rauzon

Sunday afternoon at Frank's Dump, Hayward Regional Shoreline, accessed via Winton Avenue, the first bird I saw was a Stilt Sandpiper in the SE corner of the main pond. The long-drooping bill, long legged sandpiper was terribly backlit and active, but I managed some documentation shots before it took off. This is a species I'm not too familiar with, so I thought it might be a Curlew Sandpiper or an long-billed Western, until I noticed the legs were not black but yellowish. I could not relocate it after it flew. https://rauzon.zenfolio.com/p989996334/slideshow#hd59eddc0
Mark Rauzon
Oakland

naturestoc

Hey Mark, I'm no expert but your photos look more like a curlew Sandpiper than a stilt Sandpiper to me!Dan Brown,  Sacramento. Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------From: "Mark Rauzon via Groups.Io" <mjrauz=aol.com@groups.io> Date: 9/2/19 8:14 AM (GMT-08:00) To: EBB-Sightings@groups.io Cc: EBB-Sightings@groups.io Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Stilt Sandpiper at Hayward Regional Shoreline 9/1 Sunday afternoon at Frank's Dump, Hayward Regional Shoreline, accessed via Winton Avenue, the first bird I saw was a Stilt Sandpiper in the SE corner of the main pond. The long-drooping bill, long legged sandpiper was terribly backlit and active, but I managed some documentation shots before it took off. This is a species I'm not too familiar with, so I thought it might be a Curlew Sandpiper or an long-billed Western, until I noticed the legs were not black but yellowish. I could not relocate it after it flew. https://rauzon.zenfolio.com/p989996334/slideshow#hd59eddc0Mark RauzonOakland