From: California King Tides Project <kingtides@...>
Date: Mon, Dec 7, 2020 at 9:15 AM
Subject: Your next King Tides arrive Dec. 13-15
To: <rubatan@...>

California has another chance to observe the King Tides on December 13, 14, and 15. If you are able to safely visit the shoreline during these highest tides of the year, your photographs will help preview the impacts of sea level rise and understand how our shoreline is affected by high water today.

During the November King Tides, more than 600 photos were uploaded to the project. You can see them mapped here, and the photos you take during the December King Tides will be added to that same map. If you can help us fill in the gaps, that would be fantastic, but it's also helpful to get multiple photos of a location.

Find your local King Tide times and learn how to upload your photos on our website or with a free app. It's easiest with a smartphone, but a digital camera works too! Most importantly, please be safe: wear your mask and maintain distance from those outside your household, watch out for wildlife, and always respect the power of the ocean. As part of the latest COVID-19 restrictions, Californians are instructed to stay close to home, but are encouraged to maintain physical and mental health by safely going to a park, a beach, hike, walk, or bike ride with members of their own household. Please only take photos for the California King Tides Project if you can safely do so.

Whether you head out to take photos or not, please join us on social media for #KingTides:
What causes sea level rise, and what do King Tides have to do with it?

The sea level rise we're experiencing now and will experience in the future is caused by burning fossil fuels like coal, oil, and natural gas. Carbon dioxide in our atmosphere acts like a blanket, trapping in heat that would otherwise escape. When we burn fossil fuels, we're adding more carbon dioxide, "thickening the blanket" and warming the planet and ocean. Sea level is rising because land-based glaciers and ice sheets are melting into the ocean and also because water expands in volume when it warms. The amount of sea level rise we will ultimately experience depends on how quickly we stop burning fossil fuels.

King Tides themselves are not caused by sea level rise, but allow us to experience what higher sea level will be like. King Tides are the highest tides of the year, about a foot or two higher than average tides, which corresponds to the one to two foot rise in sea level expected during the next few decades. When you observe the King Tides, picture the water level this high and higher every day. Understanding what a King Tide looks like today will help us plan for sea level rise in the future.

Sharing your photos and talking about what you've noticed helps us all understand we're part of a community that cares about climate change and wants to act to protect the people and places that we love.
Thank you for your help!
We look forward to seeing your photos!

Cal Walters

MLK / Arrowhead Marsh near Oakland Airport

Cal Walters

On Dec 8, 2020, at 11:16 AM, Rubatan@... wrote:

Largest spring tides of the year are arriving soon, useful for your bird planning (or other outdoor activities such as clamming or tidepooling): morning highs and sunset lows. Last spring tide there were some very nice rare sparrow sightings as they were pushed into marsh grasses and some crowded peep counting. I expect Frank’s Dump & Coyote Hills will be popular. Does anyone have any other suggestions, tide high or low?

Tide chart attached care of
-Stephen