Solitary Sandpiper in Fremont

Amy McDonald <amymcd@...>

Hi all,

I've just heard from Eric Pilotte, that he and Zach Baer have found the Solitary Sandpiper at the golf course near the previously described location. He asked me to post the description in case others are planning on trying to see the bird.

To get to this location, walk past the pond about 100 yards. You'll see the golf course and railroad tracks on your right. 

Amy McDonald

---------------------------------------------------- 

We just found it!  Starting at the railroad tracks you decribed at their intersection with the main path around the south side of the
lake, it was on a sandy island on a golf course pond seen looking southeast while standing on the top of the railroad tracks.  From that
vantage point, you could see a white sign near that island that says 'environmentally sensitive area'. 

We're guessing it moves around a bit back there, which is why it's been tough to find!

John Cant 793-5216

At 5:11 pm today the SOLITARY SANDPIPER was at the location where originally sighted, the wet area behind a fence erected for the BART extension. After 4 minutes of standing doing nothing it flew off (calling) to the north in the direction of the golf course. I noticed its pale yellowish-green proximal bill which seems not to be mentioned in descriptions, but in Paulson's Shorebirds of North America I see that only the photos of our presumed subspecies cinnamomea have this coloration.

John Cant
Fremont

----- Original Message -----
To: EBB_Sightings@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, May 03, 2010 2:55 PM
Subject: [EBB_Sightings] Solitary Sandpiper in Fremont

Hi all,

I've just heard from Eric Pilotte, that he and Zach Baer have found the Solitary Sandpiper at the golf course near the previously described location. He asked me to post the description in case others are planning on trying to see the bird.

To get to this location, walk past the pond about 100 yards. You'll see the golf course and railroad tracks on your right.

Amy McDonald

----------------------------------------------------

We just found it! Starting at the railroad tracks you decribed at their intersection with the main path around the south side of the
lake, it was on a sandy island on a golf course pond seen looking southeast while standing on the top of the railroad tracks. From that
vantage point, you could see a white sign near that island that says 'environmentally sensitive area'.

We're guessing it moves around a bit back there, which is why it's been tough to find!