Short-eared Owl at Dotson Family Marsh around 4 pm

Maureen Lahiff

Highlight of our Golden Gate Audubon walk at Dotson Family Marsh this afternoon:
a Short-eared Owl flying low over the grasslands inland from the mail trailĀ  a bit north of the parking area
around 4 pm. The owl also perched on a low fence and gave us great scope looks.

Dotson Family Marsh is part of Point Pinole Regional Shoreline.
EBParks website says parking lot gates locked at 4 pm,
but we confirmed with a ranger that only the gate to drive in is locked;
the exit (with its tire spikes) is not locked.

So if you arrive before 4 pm, you may stay later.

Maureen Lahiff
Oakland, CA