Topics

Sharing eBird personal hotspots

Aaron Maizlish

On May 25, 2020, at 7:17 PM, Fred Werner <sustainablefred@...> wrote:

Thanks everyone for the replies.  Is there a way to select someone else's personal spot as an eBird location (and to second their recommendation of a hotspot?)  Alan's "Perkins Canyon" seems to be the same area we birded on Saturday, and it seems like a fantastic spot.

The way that two people can both use the same personal hotspot is to have the first person share a checklist, any checklist, of that hotspot with you; i.e. Alan could share one of his Perkins Canyon lists with you.  You then would accept his list, but of course you should later delete it if you weren’t actually birding together.  Even after you delete that list, that personal hotspot will remain on your list of hotspots.

This is especially useful if multiple people occasionally bird on a piece of private property together like a ranch or an invitation-only spot that you wish to keep for private use.  In the case of a public area like Perkins Canyon it might be better for the eBird hotspot reviewer to ultimately make it a hotspot, although there is no guarantee that they will get around to that any time soon, they are volunteers after all.

Good birding,

Aaron Maizlish
San Francisco and Emeryville

Alan Bade

Good idea, thanks! Fred- I'll send you the list. It is a good spot with a variety of habitat, very few people on the trails, and a direct route up the east side of Mt Diablo. I'm replying all because I also want to publicly thank our EBB and eBird volunteers. You are appreciated for your work maintaining a system that we all use and enjoy!

Alan Bade
Pleasant Hill