Topics

Saturday morning in Heather Farm Park--Walnut Creek

rosita94598

Not leaving the house until about 8:30, Tracy Farrington and Ted Robertson were ahead of me in the park this morning.  We had some of the same birds, some a bit different.  Lots of Rough-winged Swallows were flying over the big pond and the island.  But they were just one species of the 5-swaollow day.  We also saw Barn, Cliff, Violet-green and Tree Swallows, though they were not nearly as numerous as their cousins.

Tracy had a Pacific-slope Flycatcher on the west side of the large, mostly natural pond, well before Ted and I arrived.  When he was leaving, Tracy caught the Tropical Kingbird on the soccer field fence across from the parking lot near the wooden railing.  He drove back to tell us about it, but though Ted and I rode our bikes around looking, we were unable to re-locate this elusive bird.

The two of us eventually made out way to the entrance to the private Seven Hills School.  It was pretty quiet over there, but we did have a couple of Western Bluebirds near he solar panels.

A Double-crested Cormorant was still present, as was the continuing female Common Goldeneye.  Her cousins, the Ring-necked Ducks were not around, the second day I have not seen one.  Ted found us a Common Gallinule, though.

Hugh B. Harvey
Walnut Creek