Topics

Saturday morning in Heather Farm Park

rosita94598

It seemed cold enough today and our patio thermometer is showing 50° F.  Maybe the change in weather has also brought a change in the birds.

After dwindling numbers of Ring-necked Ducks over the last week, today we had about 30 of them on the large, mostly natural pond.  They were joined by two female Buffleheads and the female Common Goldeneye was out in the middle by herself.  Oddly, I did not notice any Coots or Pied-billed Grebes., though I did see one Common Gallinule.

A good number of Rough-winged Swallows were flying over the large pond.  One Violet-green or Tree Swallow was there, also.

The Yellow-rumped Warblers were mostly missing this last week, but today I had a group of 4--6 on the west side of the pond and another 4-6 at the gate to the private Seven Hills School.

Early this week the Canada Geese had four yellow goslings at the concrete pond.  Yesterday and today there was a family of 3.  Don't know if it is the same family or not; the River Otters are ever present, one was in the concrete pond yesterday.

Hugh B. Harvey
Walnut Creek

Annie Vargas

The yellow-rumped warblers have all been hanging out at Borges Ranch, feeding on the new tree growth. They are absolutely everywhere and in beautiful coloration, along with a large population of brightly colored western bluebirds and orange crowned warblers sounding off. Good opportunity for photographers!

Take the Borges Ranch entrance off of Castle Rock Road (past Northgate HS). From the parking lot at Bob’s Pond, you can do a loop on the Hanna Lane Trail off to the right, or go straight up the Costanoan Trail to the top of the hill. The trees along the Sulfur Creek Trail have been full of these birds in the afternoons (I’ve been there after 1:30 pm), as well as the other usual residents (titmouse, juncos, Nuttall’s and acorn woodpeckers, ruby crowned kinglets, lesser goldfinches, house wrens, kestrels, black phoebes, etc).

Very few people there, and very green and peaceful during these stressful times. Happy birding to all.

Annie Vargas
Walnut Creek

On Sat, Mar 21, 2020 at 9:33 AM rosita94598 via Groups.Io <rosita94598=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Statement of Confidentiality: The contents of this e-mail message and any attachments are intended solely for the addressee. The information may also be confidential and/or legally privileged. This transmission is sent for the sole purpose of delivery to the intended recipient. If you have received this transmission in error, any use, reproduction, or dissemination of this transmission is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail and delete this message and its attachments, if any.

E-mail is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 USC SS 2510-2521 and is legally privileged.

David

Hugh,
      Thank you again for your reports from home.
        We travel in New Zealand before boarding the Maasdam for a cruise to Tahiti where we were to spend a few days then fly home. We were denied entry to Papeete due to the coronavirus crisis, even though we have no reported cases of the virus on board. The Captain then headed to Hilo, again we were denied a landing. On to Honolulu, where after 8 days at sea were were again prevented from disembarkation. So on March 27 we are scheduled to arrive in San Diego. We have no idea what to expect when we arrive.
It’s so depressing I think I’ll head for the Ocean Bar for a martini. Hope lobster is on the menu for tonight dinner in the dining room. It’s just brutal here at sea.

Hope you and yours are happy and well.
        Sailing on,
               David Rose

On Mar 21, 2020, at 6:34 AM, rosita94598 via Groups.Io <rosita94598@...> wrote:

[...]

Fred Werner

Hi David, we’ve never met, but thanks for your fascinating update.  You’ve probably heard about the ordeal of the Grand Princess. It was quarantined at seas off San Francisco for a week, the docked in Oakland for a week while they took passengers out through a pop-up screening system; all 2400 passengers were bussed or flown to military bases around the country where many (most?) were never tested, some weren't even screened, but I think all are still quarantined.  Here's an article quoting passengers:

The ship itself has been anchored in the middle of the Bay for the past week, halfway between Alameda and SF, supposedly with all of the 1,100 staff and crew who didn’t need medical attention still on board.

I hope when you're finally able to arrive that it's less stressful and problematic for you all than it was for them!

And I hope you're healthy and able to enjoy the extra cruise time...

- Fred

Fred Werner
Berkeley, CA

On Mar 21, 2020, at 6:34 AM, rosita94598 via Groups.Io <rosita94598=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Steve Taylor

David

If you have no virus onboard your better off just staying at sea.

On Mar 21, 2020, at 3:12 PM, David <davejanrose@...> wrote:

[...]

Steve,
         I agree, there are worse place to be during a pandemic than a luxury cruise ship at sea.
           David Rose