Topics

Sapsucker Alameda Breakwater Pines

Alexander Henry

Between the start of the Alameda breakwater, and the Hornet, there is a park with some pine trees. (Just west of Alameda Community Sailing Center; (37.7708284, -122.2931159)). There was some migrant activity there today (Yellow Warblers, quite a few Red-breasted Nuthatches) but most interesting was a sapsucker. I identified it as a Red-breasted x Red-naped Sapsucker hybrid/intergrade, although admittedly I’m not great with sapsuckers. Definitely not a pure Red-naped, unfortunately. It had a red crown, red nape, separated by a spot of clean black in the middle of the hindcrown/upper nape, but connected by some bleeding of reddish between the crown and nape especially on the sides of the head. It had a black border around its red throat, but some bleeding of red over the black border onto the breast.

Seems like that could be an interesting spot to keep in mind when checking for migrants. Convenient if you are already going to Ballena Bay or Elsie Roemer. Park at Encinal Boat ramp area (at least that’s what it’s called on google maps).

Alex Henry
Berkeley