Topics

Sandwich Tern (6/16/2019) - photos

Jerry Ting

As Bob Toleno stated in his previous posts, the Sandwich Tern reported by Bob Richmond and John Luther continued to be seen in the tern colony pond in Hayward Marsh that can be seen (using a scope) from the Least Tern sign and spent most of the time preening on the south side of the island (37.630029, -122.144366) on northeast of the Least Tern island. I have included 2 distant shots of the bird in my eBird report in which you can see the yellowish tip on the dark bill and dark legs.

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S57431258

Happy Birding,
Jerry Ting
Fremont

John Sterling

I received a text message from an expert who I totally trust who saw the bird and determined that it was a hybrid. I’ll let him comment but just wanted to get the word out. Several records in recent years in California have proven to be hybrids. I’m in China so I haven’t seen the bird.
John Sterling
530 908-3836
26 Palm Ave
Woodland, CA 95695

On Jun 17, 2019, at 10:26 AM, Jerry Ting via Groups.Io <jtnikon=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

As Bob Toleno stated in his previous posts, the Sandwich Tern reported by Bob Richmond and John Luther continued to be seen in the tern colony pond in Hayward Marsh that can be seen (using a scope) from the Least Tern sign and spent most of the time preening on the south side of the island (37.630029, -122.144366) on northeast of the Least Tern island. I have included 2 distant shots of the bird in my eBird report in which you can see the yellowish tip on the dark bill and dark legs.

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S57431258

Happy Birding,
Jerry Ting
Fremont

Todd Easterla

Surprised no one, other than John Sterling who is out of the country has commented whether the TERN seen and photographed today by a small group of birders was or is a hybrid, or not....? Fritz Steurer and my self did not actually see the bird, but were shown images of the bird and it seemed to clearly show a small amount of orange on the bill, about Midway down the bill mostly on the lower mandible, which would clearly put this bird on the hybrid side.Maybe, it was just an artifact of light but in the photo on the back of the photographers camera it sure seemed to be orange in color, with a yellow tipped mostly black bill.Maybe this group and the photographer will post something about it at a later date ( hopefully sooner than later) so others that don't want to chase a possible hybrid, will not.Thanks,Todd EasterlaEl Dorado Hills, Ca.Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------From: John Sterling <jsterling@...> Date: 6/16/19 8:37 PM (GMT-08:00) To: jtnikon@... Cc: EBB-Sightings@groups.io, calbirds@groups.io Subject: Re: [EBB-Sightings] Sandwich Tern (6/16/2019) - photos I received a text message from an expert who I totally trust who saw the bird and determined that it was a hybrid. I’ll let him comment but just wanted to get the word out. Several records in recent years in California have proven to be hybrids. I’m in China so I haven’t seen the bird. John Sterling530 908-383626 Palm AveWoodland, CA 95695> On Jun 17, 2019, at 10:26 AM, Jerry Ting via Groups.Io <jtnikon=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:> > As Bob Toleno stated in his previous posts, the Sandwich Tern reported by Bob Richmond and John Luther continued to be seen in the tern colony pond in Hayward Marsh that can be seen (using a scope) from the Least Tern sign and spent most of the time preening on the south side of the island (37.630029, -122.144366) on northeast of the Least Tern island.  I have included 2 distant shots of the bird in my eBird report in which you can see the yellowish tip on the dark bill and dark legs.> > https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S57431258> > Happy Birding,> Jerry Ting> Fremont> > > >