Topics

San Leandro Marina

Lori Arthur <loriarthur61@...>

Hi. I birded San Leandro Marina today at high tide, and found a few interesting birds. First was a male White-winged Scoter with Surf Scoters off of the northernmost of the three little "points" that extend into the water from the Marina. The rocky islands at the end of the southern point had many resting shorebirds, mainly Willets, Black Turnstones, and Surfbirds. Also a single sitting and a few flying Marbled Godwits, and a fly-by Black-bellied Plover. Among the many Forster's Terns was one individual that really stood out and I'm assuming it was an early Common Tern, although it was a hard ID. It was darker than the rest, with an obvious dark "wedge" of dark outer-webs on the primaries, and dark-ish edges on at least the outer 1/2 of the tail.

-- Noah Arthur, Oakland