Topics

Rufous Hummingbird - Antioch yard - 3/24

Paul Schorr

Around noon today, Nancy spotted a stunning male Rufous Hummingbird at one of our feeders.  I was in the computer room and quickly came to check it out, but just as I got my binoculars on the bird it flew away. I did manage to get good views during its flight.  Later this afternoon, a female Selasphorus hummingbird  (likely a Rufous) has been repeatedly coming to our feeders as well.

In addition, for the past week there have been about 25 or more Cedar Waxwings feeding on the berries of our cotoneaster shrubs.  I watched one individual consume 8 berries before flying off.  Now, after their ravenous feeding, the shrubs are almost bare of fruit.

The large flock of American Goldfinches that have been regular yard birds this winter, have decreased in number; however, the remaining males are developing their brilliant breeding plumage and are very impressive.

Good birding and stay safe.

Paul Schorr
Antioch