Ruff = Tough Guy

Jim Chiropolos

The Ruff continues at Damon Marsh (on the other side of the channel from Garretson Point - -Zhone way parking - visible 75 feet from the boardwalk below the eucalyptus trees. Thanks for Bob and Derek for reporting.

The ruff provided some of the most entertaining shorebird watching - as the bird is very aggressive to Willets. When I arrived, just as the tide started falling, the Ruff was making aggressive dashes towards the surrounding willits, eventually clearing a 5 foot gap where no willet dared to come closer or the ruff would chase them off. The ruff is slightly smaller than the willits, but with the pot belly stocky build is the bully. The bird is no longer in male breeding plumage (if indeed it is the same bird) but certainly has a lot of testosterone! It is not aggressive to dowitchets, who it will feed side by side with.

You have to love a bird with lots of personality! Enjoyed from 12:30 to 1 pm and timed the tides right today.

Jim Chiropolos
Orinda

Alan Howe

    I stopped by Damon Marsh Tuesday morning around 9:00. I didn't get a good look, but I did see a bird or 2 causing trouble among a group of willets, so I'm thinking I saw the ruff without IDing it. I also saw what looked to me like golden plovers. I wavered between that & black-bellied, but was seeing some golden color on their backs & wings & a darkish crown. It seems rather early for goldens to be appearing in our area.

Cheers.

Alan Howe
North Oakland