Topics

RnsaxRbsa Hybrid Skyline Gate Area RRP

Mark Stephenson

As far as I can tell from the photos is that this bird is a hybrid based on the bleeding of red on breast and back of head.Happy Birding,Mark&Lucas Stephenson

Teale Fristoe

Thanks for the thoughts Mark.

For those just hearing about this, earlier today Jim Chiropolis found a
not-Red-breasted Sapsucker in Redwood Regional Park, in an area I believe
wintering Sapsuckers have shown up in previous years. Derek Heins and I
followed up and were able to refind the bird in the same tree. We posted
photos in our ebird checklist. I'd be happy to hear additional thoughts on
the id.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S60849247

Happy birding,
Teale Fristoe
Berkeley

On Tue, Oct 22, 2019 at 3:30 PM Mark Stephenson via Groups.Io
<markstephenson4106=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

As far as I can tell from the photos is that this bird is a hybrid based
on the bleeding of red on breast and back of head.Happy Birding,Mark&Lucas
Stephenson

Frank Fogarty

Agreed with everything that's been said - this looks good for a hybrid. The
black superciliary stripe behind the eye is nearly entirely infused with
red on this bird which would be atypical for a pure Red-naped.

Good birding,

Frank Fogarty
Arcata

On Tue, Oct 22, 2019 at 3:55 PM Teale Fristoe <fristoe@...> wrote:

[...]

Bill Bousman

Folks:

Note also on Teale's photo of the right side of the face that the red throat encroaches the black malar and there is red below the black bib.  Derek's photo showing more of the rear of the crown appears to show more red than black above the nape (normally solid black).  Check out Steve Shunk's Birding article.

Bill Bousman
Menlo Park