Richmond and Emeryville Jan. 10

rosita94598

I did not leave until almost 12:30 for the Richmond Marina, but picked up some good birds.  The one species I did not find was the Black Scoters.  I did see five Grebe species, a Spotted Sandpiper and on the other side of Vincent Park I had a Long-billed Curlew and Black Turnstones.  One of the best birds was the Tringa on the California license plate in the parking lot.

The parking lot at Point Emery was packed to the gills, so I went on to Powell Street.  Despite the low tide, most likely due to it, hundreds of birds were along the exposed mudflats, the water and even the edge below the ice plant.  Most surprising to me were the more than 60 Surfbirds.  I was parked a little west of the police station, and the Surfbirds went on toward the marina parking lot.  Lots of Least Sandpipers on the exposed mud, one Western Sandpiper and some Dunlins, too.  Whimbrels, Marbled Godwits, Willets and Dowitchers were the other shorebirds.  I can not tell how many Scaups were out on the water, and they are going unidentified due to the distance and lighting.

I made my way to Berkeley Aquatic Park for the first time in more than a few years, but had not realized it was turning into a homeless camp.  No parking space and I turned around and left.  Some of the vehicles may have been people out for the Sunday afternoon, hard to tell.

Hugh B. Harvey
Walnut Creek