Topics

RFI: American Dippers - Sunol Regional Wilderness

Eric Pilotte

Just curious to know more details about the historical presence of American Dippers along Alameda Creek in Sunol Regional Wilderness. eBird lists only a few sightings over the past 20 years, but it's hard to tell if the species breeds in the area. If there is a historical breeding territory there, which part of the creek do they tend to favor?

Thanks!
Eric Pilotte
Benicia, CA

Joe Morlan

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 04:37:06 -0000, "ericpilotte" <ericpilotte@...>
wrote:

If there is a historical breeding territory there, which part of the creek do they tend to favor?
Historically they used to breed in the area around Little Yosemite. However
I don't think they have nested there in recent years.

--
Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA jmorlan (at) ccsf.edu
SF Birding Classes start Feb.9 http://fog.ccsf.edu/jmorlan/

richard s. cimino

Also on the Hayward CBC 2002 (?) we had an American Dipper down Nile
Canyon 1/8th mile west to the railroad bridge.
Rich Cimino
Pleasanton

<ericpilotte@... <mailto:ericpilotte%40gmail.com>>
wrote:

If there is a historical breeding territory there, which part of the
creek do they tend to favor?

Historically they used to breed in the area around Little Yosemite.
However
I don't think they have nested there in recent years.

--
Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA jmorlan (at) ccsf.edu
SF Birding Classes start Feb.9 http://fog.ccsf.edu/jmorlan/
<http://fog.ccsf.edu/jmorlan/>
California Bird Records Committee http://www.californiabirds.org/
<http://www.californiabirds.org/>
Western Field Ornithologists
http://www.westernfieldornithologists.org/
<http://www.westernfieldornithologists.org/>

Art Edwards <xenops@...>

My sightings of American Dipper in Sunol Regional Wilderness
were all from an area upstream known as "Little Yosemite',
to 200 yds downstream ot the Park Headquarters.

1972 Sept  2  1, 0.2 mile upstream of bridge at the south end of the auto road.

1974 Aug  10  1, at the same spot.
1974 Dec  29  1, at the same spot.

1975 Jan   1  1, at the same spot.  Crippled right leg.
1975 Jan  18  1 (same bird) upstream of park boundary, south of bridge.
1975 Nov  16  1, 0.5 mi upstream of bridge.
1975 Dec   6  1, behind Park Headquarters.

1976 Jan   4  4, 0.5 mi upstream of bridge.
1976 Dec  27  4, 0.25 mi upstream of bridge.

1982 Oct  10  2, 0.5 mi upstream of bridge.
1982 Oct  24  1-2, 0.5 mi upstream of bridge.

1983 Oct   9  1, 100 yds north of bridge.
1985 Oct   6  1, 200 yds downstream of Park Headquarters.

Lack of any later sightings may have been due to drought conditions, or to changes in water
releases from Calaveras Reservoir, leaving the habitat unsuitable for breeding.

My sightings of American Dipper in Niles Canyon:

1974 Dec  14  1 in creek on Niles Canyon Rd., 0.5 mile east of Palomares Rd.
1980 Dec  20  1 in creek on Niles Canyon Rd., 200 yds east of "The Spot" Cafe.
1980 Dec  28  1 at the same spot.

Art Edwards,
Livermore