Topics

Red Phalarope at Lake Merritt

David Robinson

Yesterday afternoon, two friends separately texted me to ask if I could
identify an unusual bird at Lake Merritt. Each sent a pic:

Red Phalarope!

Maybe it’ll be back today.

Happy Memorial Day!
--
Sent from an iPhone or iPad. Blame Apple for any errors in spelling,
phrasing, content, layout -- any errors whatsoever. And since I'm using

Teale Fristoe

I went to Lake Merritt this morning in hopes of catching the Red Phalarope.
Unfortunately it was no where to be found, but what I did find was a bunch
of Least Terns. 14 at once was my highest count. I used to live near Lake
Merritt but never saw this species there. I see on ebird that they seem to
be regular in May as of 2017, which is exciting news since the lake is
otherwise a bit of a wasteland in the summer.

If anyone's interested in seeing these charismatic birds at an accessible
location, they were frequently out on the buoys, easily visible from the
benches near the geodesic dome. I also spent some time on the other side of
the lake from this location, and the terns would sometimes fly very close
to shore while foraging.

My full ebird checklist: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S56804686

Happy birding,
Teale Fristoe